Tuesday, January 5, 2010

we want the good times, not the money

There is a distinctly Catholic aspect which contributes to the character of the New Orleans citizenry. A judgmentalism founded in the ethos of a uniquely personal responsibility to God and self prevails in most of the U.S., the result of a Protestantism in which each individual's relationship to God is self-determined. Inevitably this has produced a society of individuals who each consider themselves exalted to one degree or another, informed only by their own notions of themselves and encouraged by the world's reward system to think that advancement of their own material interests is not only their loftiest goal but also their ethical responsibility. New Orleans, however, is different, in that (among many other things) its people seem not to care so much for personal advancement as they do for enriching experiences. Experiences, though, by definition, are contingent, and this to me may be key to understanding what makes us different. There is a strong component of contingency in the Catholic faith : salvation is temporary and redeemable in that we acknowledge our failings through confession, so the "what's here today may be gone tomorrow so why bother" ethic seems to me to be ingrained in how we think about ourselves. A result of understanding and accepting our failings (instead of denying them or correcting them) is that we as a community are more indulgent of others' failings, and indeed more accepting of material circumstances which would be deemed unacceptable anywhere else in the U.S. So maybe almost 300 years of the principles of sacramental confession have helped shape our community personality to produce the laissez-faire ethos which still defines us.

2 comments:

  1. FPA -

    When I was finishing high school, I already knew I was going to go to Tulane. I had become enamored of the campus when a forward-looking teacher I had in my junior year in high school gave us a research assignment that could only be completed by many long nights at the old Howard-Tilton Library across Newcomb Boulevard from the present library. I didn't know how I was going to afford it but I told my parents that's where I wanted to be. We applied for this and that and, through a combination of a National Defense Loan, a small grant, and a work-study job (at that same libray), I enrolled. What does this story have to do with your comments regarding acceptance of lower material circumstances? This: My late father, the staid Whitney bank clerk he was at the time, said something to the effect of "you could go to UNO and live pretty high off the hog as far as spending money goes but that probably won't be the case if you go to Tulane." To which my 17 year-old self said something like, "I could be rich in other ways, Dad." My father always liked to repeat that story and, over the years, I came to respect where that line came from. Of course, it came from him and my mother and the manner in which I was raised: a Catholic New Orleanian. (By way of Metairie.) Of course, as soon as I started Tulane, I abandoned the Catholic liturgy but that is a tale for another time. Thanks for the thoughts.

    HPR

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thanks for the comments, my friend.---FPA

    ReplyDelete