Thursday, November 12, 2009

fpa progress report

I am doing a somewhat better job at work because I am working harder, which is the key to everything - not just work. As a result, I am feeling better. I am working harder because I prayed for help to do what I needed to do.
My son Kevin has expressed belief in a God of some sort. I have been praying that he find faith.
It may not be the case but it sure does feel like answered prayers.
My newfound faith is challenged daily, not only by the circumstances of my life but by me, directly and consciously. So far, it's sometimes weakened but it's never absent, and over time it's strengthened in response to each challenge, each day, each internal conversation about whether I am engaging in wish-fulfillment, as my friend says. I think that every time I affirm my faith, I end up with more faith.
This faith has helped me. That too is a powerful argument for faith; but my faith is in the God of the Trinity, and a faith that is defined by devotion to God, not to self. So feeling better is no longer what this is about for me. It's about trying to be true to the good, and true to a view of life as an element of a larger reality rather than an end in itself. the collateral benefit of this philosophy is that I feel better. Close enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment