Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Labor Day fishing

It is fitting that yesterday, Labor Day, Johnny caught fish. Out of Myrtle Grove (I think). A couple of good-sized ones - drum and redfish - and more smaller fish. Not a bad day; not legendary, either. I have never really had a legendary day; a couple of times there've been short runs, every cast, of trout, and then there was my first real catching-fish day : a big redfish, a flounder, a trout, the first real productive, magical, fishing trip I had, at Bayou St Malo. That was a long time ago.
I haven't been fishing since I started truly believing in God, 7 months ago. I haven't been fishing since October, almost a year ago. Our old spot, at Bayou Beinvenue, is the ONLY portion of the entire marsh chosen as a rebuilding-the-marsh site, in all of southeast Louisiana. But that's not the reason. There are plenty : work, getting old, wanting to spend time reading, various (real) crises, having more trouble getting around. Fishing, of course, is biblically sanctioned. Indeed, it may be the only Jesus-instructed occupational, even recreational, activity related in the Gospels. Not to mention the fishes and the loaves, and the fish as an early Christ motif. So, fishing is a righteous benign way to get away from the routine and its labors, and to try to catch dinner (itself a righteous thing - bringing home dinner to the women). So it's time for me to go fishing. only now God will be coming along with me, so maybe I'll do better than I do customarily.

No comments:

Post a Comment